Wednesday 4 May 2011

Evaluation Task 1

1.    In what ways does your media product use, develop or challenge forms and conventions of real media products?

When I was undertaking my primary research, I analysed music videos of the same genre. This was in order to identify real codes and conventions from the genre, that I was creating a music video. I was inspired by some videos and noted if I could incorporate similar attitudes, shots and lighting techniques into my video. There are also codes and conventions I chose to challenge by creating them differently with a slightly different meaning.


The idea of colour correcting my footage was inspired by Sigur Ros - Glósóli. Sigur Ros' has a cool blue colour balance. The connotations of blue can have a tendency to cause feelings of sadness. I also could have used the blue colour balance to accentuate the feeling of isolation & sorrow of Les Estolies, however my video was about the character finding relief from visiting a picturesque place. So instead I increased the saturation and gamma levels to brighten the image.



I feel that my video challenges conventions because the lyrics suggest the mourning of a loved one and the norm of society and majority of music videos, would express a heterosexual love. However the two possible readings that the audience may take from my video is either a paternal love between father and son, or a homosexual love.



No comments:

Post a Comment